Monday 2 May 2011

THE DOG WITH MANGE


If I'm irritated, the people I meet irritate me. If I'm greedy, my attention is continually caught by voluptuous sense objects. My point of view is that it is the people who irritate me and the sense objects that attract me.

(And yet that dog with mange
is still oblivious to change;
continues ill at ease
in shade, hot sun or breeze.)

The sense objects make up the world. They are all quite neutral. It is we who project our states of mind onto them. Ultimately, we don't have total control of the outside world. But we can have control over inside world - our minds. If I am never irritable, no-one can ever irritate me.

It all comes down to the struggle to survive,
the endlessly obstructed urge just to stay alive.
All (including dog) use just one rule as measure;
avoidance of pain and pursuit of pleasure.
Pain leaves an imprint which says, “Leave it be!”
The sirens of pleasure leave a note, “Follow me!”

Withdrawal from the world of pain and pleasure is the answer. Not trying to shape that world to fit our desires.


NEW PROJECT: AM I A MANGY DOG?


No comments:

Post a Comment